Arbiter Media is looking for creative, curious, agile and innovative students to serve as the Photo Editor in our newsroom. Arbiter Media is a student-run, award-winning, multi-platform media outlet, publishing content in print, online, on the radio and television; and has an established reputation for its multi-media storytelling and innovative environment. We will train you and give you the tools, support and encouragement you need to succeed. The Photo Editor is responsible for managing photographers and collaborating with Section Editors to create a steady workflow for all photographers so that each article written will have images to go with it. The Photo Chief must also work with the Video Producer to help collaborate on video projects. The Photo Chief is responsible for training photographers. They should be able to produce and edit digital images as well as train staff to produce, edit and publish Soundslides.
Most importantly, we are looking for students who are quick learners with a lot of ideas and energy. Infectious enthusiasm is a bonus. Workaholic, overachieving, ambitious go-getters are highly encouraged to apply. Curious, inquisitive, story tellers with no fear of learning new technology, vastly expanding their knowledge of multi-platform media and pioneering the future of journalism would be absolutely batty not to apply. Journalism (and media in general) is not a job or a hobby, it is a passion. If that makes sense to you, we look forward to receiving your application.
- Understanding proper use of a manual digital SLR camera settings.
- Photoshop CS3 for image retouch
- Knowledge of image color correction methods in Photoshop CS3
- Proficiency with Windows and Macintosh environments
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
- Knowledge of photo copyright laws a plus
- Strong written communication skills
- Basic knowledge of FTP, email and other communication tools a bonus.
- Basic audio capturing and editing skills a bonus.
- Basic knowledge of Soundslides a bonus
- Proven aptitude for quick creative thinking with acute attention to detail within demanding deadlines
- An eagerness to learn – and teach
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to articulate creative ideas
- An ability to manage multiple projects and meet both short-term and long-term deadlines
- An understanding of different media platforms including, but not limited to: print and online media, podcasts, photo slideshows and other forms of multi-media
- A healthy respect for Boise State University and its community
- Curiosity – particularly around media and a desire to understand the stories it can tell as well as the constraints it imposes
- Knowledge of social media and media aggregation sites such
- A love for storytelling
- Minimum 2.5 GPA
18 hours a week divided between office hours and field hours. Must be available to work Wednesdays and Sundays.
This is a PAID position $140 per week with an opportunity to take an internship for academic credit, up to three credits.
HOW TO APPLY:
Email a letter to Editor-in-Chief Rebecca De Leon expressing your interest in the internship to firstname.lastname@example.org. Students can also send a resumé but it’s not required.
The email must explicitly list the following:
-What position you are interested in
-Why you are interested in that position
-Why you feel you are qualified for the position
-Whether or not you have work study (Whether you do or not won’t be a major factor in deciding to hire you or not.)