NewsStudent Body

Voluntary survey results show high vaccination rate in Boise State community

Photo courtesy of Robyn Beck

The Boise State Public Health Office sent out an institution-wide survey back in September to assess the vaccination status for COVID-19 among members of the Boise State community.

The voluntary survey received a 51% response rate, with the incentive that those who participated could enter a drawing for a new iPad. Students enrolled exclusively in online programs and concurrent enrollment were not included in the survey.

A nurse marks a coronavirus vaccination card. (Robyn Beck/AFP/Getty Images/TNS)
[Photo of A nurse marking a coronavirus vaccination card]
Photo courtesy of Robyn Beck

The survey indicated that out of a total of 10,478 students and employees who responded to the survey, 88.2% have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine. The other 11.8% was split between 9% who answered saying they had not been vaccinated, and 3% who were unsure or preferred not to answer.

Survey participants who said they had not received a vaccine were referred to a second set of questions, where 21% said they were considering receiving the vaccine and 3% expressed interest in scheduling an appointment at the campus clinic. 

Those indicating they weren’t considering receiving a dose of the vaccine attributed their decision to a desire for more information (38%) or concerns over the safety of the vaccine (57%).

In terms of the division between students and faculty, Boise State employees hold a higher vaccination rate at 94.5% compared to students (86.6%). The data also shows that students living off campus have a higher vaccination rate than those who live on campus (87% to 84.9%).

Because Boise State continues to promote that vaccination is the most effective way to protect oneself and the community from COVID-19, the Public Health Office announced a new vaccination incentive on Oct. 7. 

Between Oct. 1 and Oct. 22, students and faculty who complete their vaccination series will be offered a chance to win one of two $222 prizes. 

The incentive, titled “2 by 22 October,” requires students interested in participating to “receive their second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccine or their first and only dose of Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine during the incentive period,” according to a post on Boise State’s COVID response page.

Related posts
News

The Arbiter and Student Media take home several awards at Idaho Press Club 2021 Awards, including first place in Student General Excellence

The Idaho Press Club is a statewide association consisting of journalists and media personnel that…
Read more
News

Former Black Panther member Gerald Smith speaks on class struggle, Black liberation at Boise State

Former Black Panther Party member Gerald Smith from Oakland, California, spoke about class struggle…
Read more
News

Boise State to establish hospitality program in fall 2022

The hospitality industry is very prevalent in fast-growing Idaho, with hotels, restaurants…
Read more

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *