Arbiter Media is looking for a student with strong communication, organizational and editing skills to serve as an Online Coordinator. Arbiter Media is a student ran award-winning multi-platform media outlet, publishing content in print, online, on the radio and television; and has an established reputation for its multi-media storytelling and innovative environment. We will train you and give you the tools, support and encouragement you need to succeed. The Online Editor at Arbiter Media collaborates with the Assistant Online Editor in managing content and maximizing the potential of arbiteronline.com. They provide a key strategic role in website, multimedia and social media initiatives and online content management/posting. The Online Editor and Assistant Online Editor will help update and organize arbiteronline.com daily with articles, multimedia, info-graphics and other content. Maintaining website includes rotating stories on the home page, uploading multimedia and embedding it in relevant articles and content packages, linking related content on website, and posting links to Arbiter Media’s content on other websites to drive traffic to arbiteronline.com. This is the Online Editors’ primary duty and may encompass more than listed here. These positions will also review content that has been flagged for moderation, locate and become involved in the appropriate web communities, blogs, forums, etc. Develop and foster relationships on all appropriate social media channels (Twitter/FriendFeed, Facebook/MySpace, YouTube/Digg, etc). Write or edit key content for our web platform, ensuring that it adheres to our editorial styleguide and maintains the appropriate voice. Solicit, evaluate, disseminate, and respond to feedback from audiences on Arbiter Media’s blog. Foster our Arbiter Media’s values of transparency, authentic and objective communication by maintaining Arbiter Media’s main blog; listen to reader feedback, responds to concerns, explain corrections and take responsibility for mistakes made in print and online. The Online Editor and Assistant Online Editor serve as direct support for Online Community Manager and hold him/her accountable to fulfill social media objectives for the team.
- Proven aptitude for quick creative thinking with acute attention to detail within demanding deadlines
- An eagerness to learn – and teach
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to lead, manage and collaborate with a team comprised of students from a wide range of backgrounds and experiences.
- Ability to articulate creative ideas
- An ability to manage multiple projects and meet both short-term and long-term deadlines
- An understanding of different media platforms including, but not limited to: print and online media, podcasts, photo slideshows and other forms of multi-media
- A healthy respect for Boise State University and its community
- Curiosity – particularly around media and a desire to understand the stories it can tell as well as the constraints it imposes
- Knowledge of social media and media aggregation sites
- A love for writing and storytelling
- Minimum 2.5 GPA
13 office hours and 5 flex-hours will be dedicated to The Arbiter (18 total hours). Must be available to work Wednesdays and Sundays.
This is a PAID position with the online editor earning $140 per week and the assistant online editor earning $130 per week. Both have an opportunity to earn academic credit for work via an internship, up to three credits.
HOW TO APPLY:
Email a letter to Editor-in-Chief Rebecca De Leon expressing your interest in the internship to firstname.lastname@example.org. Students can also send a resumé but it’s not required.
The email must explicitly list the following:
-What position you are interested in
-Why you are interested in that position
-Why you feel you are qualified for the position
-Whether or not you have work study (Whether you do or not won’t be a major factor in deciding to hire you or not.)